Your browser version is outdated. We recommend that you update your browser to the latest version.


Our SENCO is Mrs Kate Limbert.  To contact Mrs Limbert, please email:

Alternatively please ring Mrs Mallinson in the office and a message can be passed on to Mrs Limbert.

Information Report

Please click here to view our SEN Information Report


Please click here to view our SEN Policy

SEND - Local Offer

All North Yorkshire maintained schools have a similar approach to meeting the needs of pupils with Special Educational Needs and/or Disabilities (SEND.)   They are supported by the Local Authority to ensure that all pupils, whatever their specific needs, make the best possible progress in school.   The Local Authority publishes its Local Offer which provides information for children and young people with special educational needs (SEND) and their parents or carers in a single place.

Find out more from the North Yorshire County Council website


What is the Local offer?

North Yorkshire County Council  have published their local offer for children and families from 0-25. This outlines what is available for children and young people with SEND in our Local Authority.  All schools are required to provide information to parents on how to seek additional support beyond that which is ‘normally available’ for their child.  The main aim of the local offer is to enable families to see readily the support they can expect locally without having to struggle to find the information.

Click on this link to access the site map for the NYCC local offer:

Parent Information Service SENDIASS

If there is any information that you would like to know that is not on the website then please do not hesitate to contact  Mrs Teresa Fothergill (SENCO) via the School Office.


Dyslexia Information

Dyslexia Information Leaflet


Single Equality Scheme

Single Equality Scheme 2015


What to do if I think my child has Special Educational Needs.

If you have a concern about your child this should be raised in the first instance to the class teacher, they will then discuss these concerns with the Special Educational Needs Coordinator (SENCo), and it is then monitored. The SENCo will arrange a review meeting if this is appropriate. The SEN list is updated termly, by the class teachers and the SENCo. All children who are significantly behind the national average will be placed on the register. Also children who are not progressing will be placed on the register. Vulnerable children are identified on SIM’s (school database).

All mainstream schools have a SENCo. Our SENCo is – Mrs Fothergill. She, along with your child’s class teacher, will be able to discuss your child’s needs with you, the support for learning that we are providing to meet their needs, and what expectations we have for your child’s progress. This will include explaining to you where your child is in their learning, and the targets we have set for your child. You and your child will be asked for your views on these targets. You will be informed about the National Curriculum levels at which your child is working. If you are not sure what these mean, don’t be afraid to ask.

How will school staff support my child?

High quality support for learning within mainstream lessons is the most important factor in helping pupils with SEND (Special Educational Needs and Disabilities) to make good progress alongside their peers. Teaching assistants can be deployed where the need is and this can be done on a lesson basis in order to respond flexibly and swiftly to need. If a specific allocated time is given to a child then parents will be informed. This may be in the form of in class support or interventions run outside of the Maths and Literacy lessons. Some of the interventions we run in school are First Class @Number and Additional Literacy Support. The provision map in school shows some of the things we can offer to children with specific needs. Governors will question about the provisions and what impact they are having on the children. Regular slots are provided in the governors meeting for new things happening in school.

For a very few children more help will be needed than is normally available through the school’s own resources. Schools, parents and other agencies may decide that it is necessary to request a statutory assessment through the local authority. We can talk to you about this in more detail or you can contact the Parent Partnership service (see number below).

How will I know how my child is doing?

We have Parents’ Evening during the Autumn and Spring terms where you will be able to find out about what your child is doing and how they are progressing towards their targets. The school also operates an open door policy whereby parents can pop in to speak to the class teacher- if they are not available then a meeting can be arranged. Formal assessments take place on a termly basis but if staff are concerned between these times they will approach parents. Termly review meetings take place for all children on school action + or children with a statement. Home/school planners are used and are beneficial and information is often added to them. IEP’s are reviewed and updated on a termly basis and signed by the teacher, parent and child. All pupils with SEND should make at least expected progress, in line with their peers.

How will the learning and development provision be matched to my child’s needs?

Every lesson is differentiated in the classroom, some sessions are grouped, for example phonics in key stage 1. There are also varying levels of TA support in the classroom. Children will access education at their level which will be challenging and help them to reach their targets.

What support will there be for my child’s overall wellbeing?

We are very concerned with a child’s overall wellbeing. Many North Yorkshire schools have used the Inclusion Quality Mark (IQM) to evaluate how successfully they include all learners, including those with SEND. The IQM allows schools to show how they are benefiting different groups of learners, and how their outcomes are improving as a result of their work. Training is given to staff for medical needs when they arise for example: feeding tubes and epi pens.

Administration of medicines is co-ordinated by Mrs Mallinson. The medicines are kept in the school office, when it is needed in class, provision is made; for example: locked boxes, fridge in office.

Behaviour in school is carefully monitored. We work on accentuating positive behaviour and have high expectations of all our children. If a child misbehaves we have scale of sanctions and strategies which can include, time out, reparation, liaison with parents and phone calls home. Full details are provided in our Behaviour Policy.

What specialist services and expertise are available at or accessed by the school?

As a school we may need specialist support for your child. If we feel that the involvement of another agency would be beneficial to help with your child’s needs you will be informed and asked to give your consent. Within school we can make referrals to the Enhanced Mainstream schools which provide both in reach and outreach support. These are Behaviour, emotional and social difficulties- Grove Road; Specific learning difficulties- Rossett School; Communication and Interaction  – Hookstone Primary; Autism – King James’School, Knaresborough. We can also make referrals to Severe Learning difficulties based at Springwater, speech and language, social care,  CAMH’s, educational psychologist and Parent Partnership service.

We also work in close partnership with physiotherapy, occupational therapy, school nurse, hearing and vision teams.

A Parent Partnership Co-ordinator can be contacted through North Yorkshire’s education offices or on 0845 034 9469. The Parent Partnership Coordinators can offer impartial advice and support which could include making a home visit to listen to any concerns you may have, or attending meetings with you. They may also be able to put you in touch with other organisations or parent support groups.

What training have the staff, supporting children and young people with SEND, had or are having?

The school has followed the Inclusion Development programme produced by the government for dyslexia and SLCN, autism and behaviour. Staff attend training relevant to the needs of the children in their class. This is also discussed at their performance management reviews. Examples of courses attended are SENCo network,  whole school child protection training.

Staff training mainly happens on a Monday evening and again this is tailored to the needs at the current time.

How will you help me to support my child’s learning?

You can support your child by listening to them read, read to them, support them with their homework, for example: practising spellings. We have lots of different ways you can support your child’s learning in school. Some of the things include, parents evenings, volunteers in school. For information on how to help your child at home talk to your child’s class teacher.

How will I be involved in discussions about and planning for my child’s education?

Parents are invited to attend review meetings and write IEP’s. As a parent you can volunteer in school (see the class teacher), attend class assemblies, go to harvest festival and carol singing etc.

How will my child be included in activities outside the classroom including school trips?

All children have access to all activities both in school and out. For a school trip a previsit will happen, a risk assessment will be done and adaptations will be put in place. Adaptations previously put in place include parents accompanying the child, transport by car due to not being able to get on a coach and daily time on websites looking at the place the child is going to ensure familiarity. Parents will be consulted by the class teacher regarding any difficulties we may encounter. We will always go the extra mile to ensure every child can access a school trip.

How accessible is the school environment?

Our building is fully accessible with ramps or level access on three of the doors. We have a large disabled toilet. All classrooms have blinds and carpets.

For any families who have English as a second language we can have some standard letters translated into different languages. A translator may be arranged but bringing your own translator is warmly welcomed.

A copy of the Governors Accessibility plan is available from the office.

Who can I contact for further information?

If you are concerned about your child initially approach the class teacher. They can then discuss progress with the SENCo/ Head teacher. Other people involved in working with your child include Teaching Assistants and outside agencies. Our Governor with specific responsibility for SEND is Mrs D Kitzing.  If you are unhappy you can raise a complaint to the governors- our chair of governors is Ms Helen Lesli.

How will the school prepare and support my child to join the school, transfer to a new school or the next stage of education and life?

We have strong links with all secondary schools in the area. There are transition days for all Year 6’s. Additional visits may be set up, High Schools are invited to Annual Reviews in Year 5 and Year 6, and the children’s files are photocopied and sent up to the High School.

If your child is transferring to our school we will contact the previous school for information, attend review meetings, set up transition day visits and make a book about our school (if this is appropriate). If your child is leaving our school we will contact the new school with any relevant information and then photocopy all files to send on. The originals will be kept in school in accordance to statutory guidance.

How are the school’s resources allocated and matched to children’s special educational needs?

Our school budget is allocated towards the needs of the children in school. The school reflects on numbers of children to decide the class structure. Teaching assistants will work in class, run interventions and generally support children where it is needed.

How is the decision made about how much support my child will receive?

Where we feel that something additional or different is needed to support your child because they have SEND we will discuss this carefully with you. This information may well be recorded in a document for you and your child, known as an individual provision map or an individual education plan. This will include:-

• details of any strategies being used to support your child in class;

• details of any extra support or interventions for your child;

• your child’s learning targets;

• the next date when your child’s progress will be reviewed.

If your child is not making progress and the gap between them and their peers is widening then your child would take part in an intervention either in a 1:1 situation or in a small group to address the need of your child. If they are still not making progress in class support by a Teaching Assistant may be deployed if this is thought to be beneficial. This is by no means always the case. Most importantly, this support should be aiming to make your child more independent in lessons. This decision will be made by the SENCo  and head teacher. More long term class support would be discussed in review meetings and through structured conversation.

We use a range of interventions to support pupils with SEND to make better progress. Interventions are structured learning programmes.

We can  explain to you:-

• what interventions your child is receiving and what are the intended learning outcomes;

• when during the week any interventions will be delivered and for how many weeks;

• who will be delivering the interventions (usually a well trained teaching assistant) and where (e.g. in class or outside the classroom)

• how the interventions will relate to and support learning in the classroom;

• how they will be monitored closely to make sure they are helping your child to make accelerated progress.

Cookie Policy

This site uses cookies to store information on your computer.

Do you accept?